Edited November 18, 2019
What information the Site collects
Information you provide directly to us:
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view the Site. However, when you use certain Site functions, such as when you register for certain services, access certain content or features, or directly contact the Site, we may ask you to provide information, including:
- contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, or mobile number;
- username and password;
- information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
- search queries conducted on the Site; and
- correspondence you send to us.
Information automatically collected when you visit and interact with the Site:
When you visit and interact with the Site, certain information may be collected automatically, including:
- your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Site;
- activities within community discussions;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Site;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates and user video viewing; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
How we use the information that we collect
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as editorial updates, changes to the Site, and promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners’ products and services. If you signed up for one of our email newsletters, we also will send you the newsletter that you requested.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the Site, many of which are targeted based on information about you. For example, using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, we may use demographic data or information about your online activities or interests to display targeted advertising that may be relevant to your preferences. Through this process, advertisers reach Site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested.
We may use the information that we collect to fulfill your requests for products, services, and information. For example, we may use your contact information to respond to your customer service requests or to enable you to participate in features on the Site such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards.
In order to learn more about how our Site is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the Site, to increase our Site’s functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors’ needs.
The Color of Money values your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the Site.
- We may employ third parties to perform Site-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have no access to your information.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as posting comments on community message boards, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- We may share information about you to respond to subpoenas, search warrants, judicial proceedings, court orders, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the Site.
To customize your experience on the Site and to simplify the Site’s registration process, we provide you with the opportunity to access or interact with third-party services, such as Facebook and Twitter. When you connect to the Site through these third-party services, we may share information about you with these third-party service providers and they may share data about you with us.
Please remember that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party services. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all third-party service providers.
Cookies and other technologies
As discussed in the sections on cookies and other technologies and third-party advertising, some information is collected about you automatically through cookies and other technologies.
- Cookies. You can change your browser settings to reject all cookies, accept only certain cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Please note that you may need to renew these settings if you delete your cookies after these preferences are made. These settings also may not apply if you are using a different computer or Internet browser. In addition, many third-party advertising networks are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To opt out of having information collected by NAI member companies used for behavioral advertising, to obtain information about the technologies these ad networks might use, and to view information regarding their privacy policies, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp.
If you opt out of these technologies, you will continue to see advertising displayed on the Site, but the advertising may not be targeted to your interests.
Confidentiality and security
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Visitors from outside the United States
The Site’s offices are located in the United States. If you visit the site from another country, please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Site may be processed in and transferred to the United States and will be subject to U.S. law. U.S. privacy and data protection laws may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using the Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States. .
Children under 13
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.